DYI-kea Bookshelves

I really don't like going to Ikea; I like buying furniture from Ikea even less.

The craftsman in me detests the functional but charmless lack of detail work, like box or dovetail joints, that really make a simple piece of furniture stand out.

The hipster in me hates thinking, "Hey, I have that bookshelf." every time I visit a friend's apartment.

But most of all, the cheapskate in me can't live with the fact that I could have made a better piece for half the cost.

Below is my alternative to flimsy Ikea shelves.

Total cost: $20
Time to complete: A Saturday afternoon

Materials:
  • 4 2x4's
  • 6 boards for shelves. I used the 9 1/2" x 24" ones from Ikea (but the joke's on me, because they've already started sagging) Edge-joining two boards for each shelf as described in a previous post would be a better, if more time-consuming solution.
  • A box of screws
  • Wood Glue (I use Titebond)
  • Stain, paint, varnish, etc.

Tools:
  • Tablesaw
  • Drill
  • Clamps
  • Sandpaper
Instructions:

1. Start by ripping the rounded edges off all four boards and slicing them into two long pieces, one 2 1/2" wide and the other about 3/4" wide.


2. Next, cut 2ft off the end of all 4 boards, saving both pieces.
3. Rip 2 of the short pieces into 2x2's
4. Cut the others into short blocks about 5" long.

5. Glue together the pieces above to create two tall, rectangular, boxes; these will be the sides of your shelves. I used dowel joints for extra strength.
6. Stop and sand everything down to a smooth finish.
7. Now use the 2x2's made in step 3 to connect the two frames into a sort of wire-frame "cube".

8. Cut the long 3/4" wide boards created in step 5 into short pieces to support the shelves. Bevel one edge for a more professional look.

9. Counter-sink and screw these to the inside of your frame.

10. Use what's left of those same narrow boards to make a frame around the top of your bookshelf.

11. Stain or otherwise finish the wood.
12. Stand back and admire your work! You now have a simple, but elegant bookshelf. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Boot Your PC Directly to Steam Big Picture

How to Replace the Oil Pan in a Subaru Impreza WRX

Gear Review: Aldi Adventuridge Dome Tent