The Nook Book

Today's post has a guest author, my beautiful wife. Although she runs her own blog over at crimsoncinder.blogspot.com, this project was so cool I asked her if I could post on my blog too. Although this project was specifically for a Barnes and Noble Nook Simple Touch, you could just as easily make one for an Amazon Kindle, or any other tablet or e-reader.

The Making of the Nook Book

When contemplating what to get my brother-in-law for his birthday, I was stumped.
I couldn’t think of anything to get a teenage boy who loved technology that would fit in my
budget. I settled on trying to find a cover for the nook that he had received
for Christmas. I looked for deals but still didn’t hit my price point. I thought I would
end up sending a lame card with cash and didn’t feel that great about it.

Then, it came to me! I could still get him a cover…but just make it! My normal go
to in something like this is to crochet it, but I wanted to do something different.
On the next few trips to the thrift store, armed with the exact measurements of
a nook, I searched the hard-backed books for one that would be the right size to
accommodate a hollow inside for a nook. It was harder than first anticipated but
finally I found a book that not only matched in size, but the subject matter was
perfect! Reader’s Encyclopedia A-J

I started laying out where I wanted to cut the pages to make it seem that he was
reading the book. Since I wanted to give the illusion of the book not being tampered
with, I left the front half of the book untouched, no cuts, no glue.

Cutting the pages was easiest at the beginning, but soon turned difficult as the blade kept wanting to not stay perpendicular to the face of the page. Thankfully, the profile that was created by the blade tilting keeps the nook in the hollow if the book is tipped.

I decided to glue the inside of the cuts in the second half of the book in order to leave
the outside edge looking like any other book. (You can still even flip the corners of
the pages that are fixed together)

The only thing better than making this present, was giving it to my brother-in-law.
He opened the wrapping read the title and basically made the face in between a
questioning and a grimace. I couldn’t help but laugh! He started saying an obligatory
“thank you. ” I quickly encouraged him that the actual gift was in the book. He
quickly flipped through and saw some pages were stuck together. I handed him his
nook and told him to try out his new Nook Book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Boot Your PC Directly to Steam Big Picture

How to Replace the Oil Pan in a Subaru Impreza WRX

Gear Review: Aldi Adventuridge Dome Tent